Errors while opening on Win10

I downloaded version 2.5 and tried running it. The following errors are shown in the console. Also, the JRE folder is empty.

Am I understanding correctly?

• you downloaded DiffPlug 2.5.0 for windows
  • you extracted the zip file, doesn’t matter where, but let’s say ~/Downloads/DiffPlug
  • the jre folder is empty? as in ~/Downloads/DiffPlug/jre either doesn’t exist or is empty?

If I am understanding correctly, then you have an aggressive zip or antivirus program which is removing the JRE which we bundle with DiffPlug inside the .zip file. You could workaround this by copying a Java 8 runtime into that jre directory, so that you have the following tree:

~/Downloads/DiffPlug/
~/Downloads/DiffPlug/jre/
~/Downloads/DiffPlug/jre/bin/
~/Downloads/DiffPlug/jre/lib/

OK, so I copied the contents of C:\Program Files\Java\jre8 to the ‘jre’ folder of the installation directory named C:\Users\PVALLURY\Documents\diffplug2.5\jre and the structure looks like what you show above. Now the console shows the following error (I checked the bin folder and there is a file named resource.dll). Thanks.

I take that as confirmation that C:\Users\PVALLURY\Documents\diffplug2.5\jre was empty? The zip file that we ship definitely has content there, so there is some extremely invasive process which is removing it. Do you have any guesses as to what is doing that?

The problem is that if you have some antivirus process which is deleting parts of our install folder without notifying you, we can’t be sure what else it is deleting. I would try extracting our archive on a different machine, and moving the extracted contents by some other method.

DiffPlug 2.5.0 shipped with the Oracle JDK 8u232. If you want to continue the workaround method, one way is to try that specific JDK. But the next DiffPlug is going to ship with the latest version of JDK 11, so it’s going to be a painful way to use DiffPlug if you have to keep undoing whatever process is deleting random parts of our install folder.

I confirm that the jre folder was empty. It is a company laptop via VPN, so perhaps something is being automatically removed, I agree. Is there a version of diffplug that can use the existing Java installation? I have jre8 in c:\program files\java and I have jre8 and jre1.8.0_291 in c:\program files (x86)\java.

I tried diffplug2.5 on my home x64 computer and it works fine. I will continue to investigate why and what files are being deleted. Thanks.

UPDATE: I was able to manually copy diffplug’s jre folder contents separately. However, it still does not start. The console verbose version flashes for a second and disappears, so I cannot see what the error is. Is there a way to pause the console window to see the output of the console run? Seems like the corporate policy is somehow strictly preventing diffplug from running - that’s a shame, because this is a great opportunity in a large company. Let me know your thoughts.

I’ll contact you directly via email. We can’t make any quality guarantees if we can’t deliver an intact set of files. We know that the jre folder is getting nuked, but we don’t know if other files are getting nuked too. Unless we can figure that out, we won’t be able to deliver a quality experience for you.