DP not coming up if launched as DiffTool in Git (Windows)

In DiffPlug 2.0.3, I have set it up as the difftool for Git, which is working now from the command-line, and also from Git Extensions (GUI Git tool), when sending 2 parameters.

However, if I launch from Git Extensions with a file that is either new or deleted in the diff, then DP will not launch. I would expect DP to come up and show a Diff with the entire file on one side or the other, with it not existing on the other side (probably with a message to that effect?).

Another possibility would be that just the viewer pulls up (doesn’t pull up into the diff window with a comparison).

Git Extensions may just be sending a blank/empty file for the one half… If it is an issue on their side I could submit an issue or fix it and submit a pull request. I haven’t played around with this on the command line to see if the same behavior exists.

Any thoughts on this?

if I launch from Git Extensions with a file that is either new or deleted in the diff, then DP will not launch.

Definitely agree that is not the correct behavior. Investigating…

Here is a workaround: on my box with Git Extensions, when I open an addition or removal I get this:

If you double-click the “.slx” file anywhere in the red rectangle, it will open just that file.

We will update the behavior in 2.0.4 to do this automatically.

In DiffPlug 2.0.4 we have added an option -flavor git which does the correct behavior for additions and removals. Here are the docs with more details.